Home > Industries > Metrology/Inspection
For discrete sample inspection and metrology applications, measurement accuracy, ease of use, computerized data management and reporting, and often, minimal cycle time are important.
Whether you need a system dedicated to repeatedly inspecting samples of a single part design or a flexible system capable of inspecting different parts with simple-to-complex profiles, LaserLinc has a suite of products ideally suited to meet your needs.
Highlights of Solutions for Metrology and Sample Inspection
- Measure samples quickly and accurately using non-contact inspection equipment
- Part holding fixtures ensure consistent results and improve accuracy while making the system easy for operators to use
- Reduce errors with automatic go/no-go decision making
- Automate part sorting by using relay outputs from the inspection system or order a turn-key solution from LaserLinc
- Optimize cycle time, minimize operator involvement, and limit the need for operator training by automating inspection of part profiles, especially those involving multiple points of inspection, multiple diameters, and complex measurements such as taper (see Profile Vu-L™ for more information)
- Configure the display to perfectly meet the needs of operators and other users. For example:
- Build in aspects of your standard operating procedure by customizing buttons to restrict allowable operations and requiring the operator to proceed through a controlled series of steps with validated input
- Display only necessary or desired information
- Password protect access to features for engineers, supervisors, and other managers
- Eliminate data recording errors and paper records with automatic, electronic logging of data in universal comma separated values (CSV) format
- Generate professional reports from Excel® templates that you design
- Statistically analyze data using built-in SPC or interface with 3rd party SPC software via OPC® or serial output
- Exchange data with enterprise software such as MES or ERP systems using OPC
LaserLinc designs measurement equipment for optimal performance, for any application in any industry. Because of that philosophy, and non-contact technology, LaserLinc’s measurement equipment is well suited to off-line sample inspection and metrology applications where the demand for measurement accuracy is often highest.
Optimum accuracy is assured when our scanning laser micrometers and ultrasonic devices are accompanied by proper part holding fixtures. Proper fixtures ensure consistent part placement and orientation for better gage R&R. LaserLinc offers standard fixtures and design-build service for special requirements.
Measurement error is reduced since the operator is not directly involved in positioning the part, manipulating the measurement device, or reading and/or recording the result.
Ease of Use
LaserLinc’s benchtop systems are easy for operators to learn and run. Part holding fixtures, including motion-controlled fixtures, and fast, non-contact measurement make it easy for operators to complete each sample inspection cycle.
Total Vu™ software does the rest. Configurable displays deliver a concise interface tailored to the operator. Go/no-go results are color-coded, data is automatically recorded, and reports automatically generated, alleviating mundane tasks. Sorting can be automated with output relays.
Scanning laser micrometers measure more than just a simple diameter. Here are a few other characteristics they also measure:
- Total Indicated Runout (TIR)
- Multiple diameters, simultaneously (multi-strand): e.g. IC pin pitch
- Multiple diameters: e.g. camshaft
- Part Position
- Gap or Edge position
See the Measurements page for illustrations.
Add an ultrasonic device for material thickness, concentricity, and inside diameter measurement.
Off-the-Shelf Tools Offer Design Flexibility and Low-Cost Solutions
Benchtop inspection systems vary greatly because the range of products to inspect varies greatly. Despite this challenge, LaserLinc’s measurement devices—scanning laser micrometers and ultrasonic wall thickness sensors—with Total Vu software offer considerable flexibility. Low cost is achieved by combining these standard products, especially Total Vu software, its configurable displays, and reports from Excel® templates, with a part holding fixture.
Because there are so many possibilities, you may not see an obvious solution for inspecting your specific product in our on-line portfolio. However, contact us to discuss your specific needs. We will help you determine whether an off-the-shelf solution is available or if a customized approach is best.
Microsoft, Excel, and Windows are either registered trademarks or trademarks
of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
OPC is a registered trademark of the OPC Foundation